While many Americans feel the travel bug all year round, that bug bites a little harder in the middle of the summer. 46% of surveyed Americans say they take their yearly vacation in July, making the month the most popular time of the year to travel. There are plenty of beautiful, dog-friendly travel destinations across the United States where you can make memories with your loved ones, both human and furry!
- San Diego, CA: The seaside city has 16 off-leash dog parks and plenty of pet-friendly, al fresco restaurants.
- Charlottesville, VA: Carter Mountain Orchard, where families can pick-your-own apples, strawberries, cherries or pumpkins, depending on the season, permits well-behaved pooches.
- The Finger Lakes, Upstate NY: Home to more than 100 wineries, including Red Tail Ridge, Fox Run and Kings Garden (and several micro-breweries) which enjoy having well-behaved pets visit.
- Milwaukee, WI: On the shores of Lake Michigan, visitors at the Juneau Park Paddleboats can bring their K-9s on their paddleboats for a spin.
- Grand Canyon, AZ: Bring your dog along to visit the national park with the most breathtaking views in the country.
- Portland, OR: This relaxing city is home to more than 30 off-leash parks – the most dog-permitting parks per capita anywhere in the country.
- Chicago, IL: Visit shops and restaurants at the city’s famous Navy Pier or visit one of the 18 off-leash parks with your furry friend.
- Austin, TX: Treat your pet to Bow-Wow Bones – a funky mobile food truck for dogs, complete with a menu that caters to our four-legged friends’ appetites.
- San Francisco, CA: With over 50 dog-friendly parks and hiking trails, this city is a popular petropolis. If you’re a wine lover, head to nearby Sonoma County, where the Mutt Lynch Winery offers unique wines such as Merlot Over and Play Dead.
- Seattle, WA: Warren G. Magnuson Park is home to an off-leash dog area with a fully-fenced, 6-acre dog park divided into several smaller areas with access to swim in Lake Washington.
Next time you’re heading out on vacation, find a pet-friendly vacation rental and bring your four-legged family members along on the adventure!