Our pets love summer just as much as we do! For many, it’s the best time of year to be out, about, and enjoying all that the season has to offer. While dog parents are encouraged to take their pets out for picnics, hikes, swimming, or running, keep in mind that warm weather potentially be dangerous.
As the weather warms up, keep these six summer safety tips for dogs to keep them cool this summer:
- Never leave dogs in the car. While it might not feel hot in a car on a 78 degree day, the inside of the car can reach up to 90 degrees if parked in the sun and top 160 degrees if parked directly in the sun. It can take dogs minutes to develop heat stroke and suffocate in a hot car, so it’s best to leave dogs at home on a hot day or travel with a bowl of water and a leash so you can take your dog with you when you get out of the car.
- Protect dogs from common pests. If left unprotected from fleas, ticks, and mosquitos, dogs can be at risk for heartworm, Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and a host of other nasty and dangerous conditions.
- Keep dogs’ paws cool. When the sun is cooking, surfaces like asphalt or metal can get really hot! Try to keep your pet off of hot asphalt; not only can it burn paws, but it can also increase body temperature and lead to overheating.
- Give your dog a “puppy” pool. Dogs who love the water naturally love it even more during the hot months. Providing a small, kid-sized pool will keep dogs cool.
- Dogs can get sunburns, too. Believe it or not, dogs can sunburn, especially those with short or light-colored coats. And just like with people, sunburns can be painful for a dog and overexposure to the sun can lead to skin cancer.
- Keep dogs safe in cars. When you start to travel more with your pups, make sure they are traveling safely in the car with you. Just like you, your dog needs a seatbelt to stay safe.
Perhaps one of the most important tips is to pay attention to your dog in the hot summer heat. Keep an eye on any discomfort—chances are that if you are uncomfortable, your dog is too!